Sunday, September 27, 2015

September 27, 2015 Melton

So week was awesome!

Before I tell you about it though, here's an observation... I always seem to start my emails with the word "so". I just realized that. I bet all my journal entries start with that as well…hmm. Well that's
cool!

So anyway, we witnessed a lot of miracles. Elder Sifuentes is a great trainer and a great missionary. We get along really well. I laugh at his English and he laughs at my silly mistakes, (for example when I left the flat still wearing my flip flops.. again..) Anyway…

Does everybody know what time it is?  MIRACLE TIME!!

Thanks Heidi. That's right folks it's miracle time. I'm Calvin, "the Mormon Man" Chappell and beside me as always is my trusty companion Al Borland. I mean Elder Sifuentes. (eh? eh? How good was that? Throwin’ it back to the good ol’ Home Improvement days.)

So we were going to an appointment one night, and nobody was home. It was about 8:00 and dark. Nobody is out when it’s dark, and if we knock on doors when it's dark without an appointment, we get yelled at. So we have no plans, and an hour until the bus comes. So we said a prayer and asked for guidance. Then we started walking. We didn't have anywhere to go but we went! Lo and behold, two people walking, carrying grocery bags! We asked them if we could help. They said no, but then the man said, "hey, I met some of you guys the other day!" We got talking and ended up getting his info, setting up an appointment, and giving him a Book of Mormon. It was awesome. So after we walked away, we stopped and said a prayer of thanks. Then we walked to the train station. Lo and behold, a tiny old woman carrying giant bags. We offered to help, again she turned us down.  Again we got talking. She was from the Philippines! She and Elder Sifuentes talked in Tagalog a little then we talked a lot in English. We became good friends with her, got her info, and set up an appointment.

PRAYER WORKS.

Miracle #2! We learned about a part member family in our ward and have been trying to set up an appointment with them. It hasn't been working out until last Satday. (yes that's how people say Saturday) We finally got a lesson with them! “N” is the father, and he is not a member. They are Samoan. We taught the Plan of Salvation because of a Spiritual prompting. We had planned to teach the Restoration, but we followed the Spirit! Long story short, “N” is the most prepared person I have taught so far. The Spirit was so strong, and he wants to be baptized and be sealed to his family for time and all eternity. We
are so excited for them. He has three daughters. They're family has so much love for each other. Soon they will be able to secure that love and happiness for eternity.

There were so many more miracles but I can't tell you all of them! But if I could request some prayers without telling you the situation to keep privacy, please pray for Luke. Pray very hard for him. That man
needs all the prayers that we can provide.

The subject line is in Samoan by the way! Malo means hello, and Fiaai means I'm hungry. That's all I need to know! I love all of the islanders here. Their culture is so cool. They love music and I swear
they all have beautiful voices. When they feed us, they give us three courses that are all individually too big for one person. So we have to eat a lot. You' might say we are lucky for that, but man! It's hard! They force you to eat! It's like on Matilda when the Trunchbull forces the kid to eat that giant cake. That's every night for me. Needless to say, I take my exercise time a lot more seriously now than I did in Washington. I will not get fat! They also sit and watch us eat. That's the culture. Guests eat first with the man of the house
while the woman and children serve them. It's interesting!

Many have asked me about the spiders. I haven't seen any of the massive as ones that I have heard so much about. I've talked to the people here and they say they have never seen those either. But there
are some dang big spiders. But say it like an Aussie! "spoida" So yeah they are pretty big, but not like as big as my hand. Well, so far anyway.

I have started taking videos to document my mission. Years later, I am gonna love watching them.

Well, I love all of you! I am so jealous that you get winter soon. It's just started getting warm here and I'm already ready for winter!

Here are some pictures of the graffiti that we see every time we ride the train. Kinda cool right?
Anyway, love ya and all that. Bye!

Elder Calvin Chappell



No comments:

Post a Comment